# Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) (opens new window) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter! (opens new window)
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
# The latest
- Meet folks from Protocol Labs next Thursday at our IPFS Social in Glasgow. Register for the event here (opens new window).
- See IPFS in action in the first episode of Around the block (opens new window), a docu-series of interviews featuring some of the most intriguing characters & stories “in crypto-land” by Paratii Video. The best part? Their content is streamed via a p2p app called the Lab (opens new window). The Lab is a repository for high-quality crypto content that doesn’t spy on you and relies on IPFS. It’s also is open source and you can distribute the series yourself through embedding.
- Introducing IpfsCloud: A Decentralised Cloud Storage Platform (opens new window) – A decentralised cloud storage platform, or the IPFS alternative to Google Drive
- Check out the recent Filecoin demos with Chinese subtitles (opens new window). Many thanks to Neo Ge (opens new window), of IPFS Main, for the translation.
# IPFS in the wild
Do you follow IPFS on Twitter (opens new window)? For the latest mentions of IPFS in the news, check our Twitter feed or see the latest articles on Awesome IPFS (opens new window).
- Build a Decentralized Chat App with Knockout and IPFS (opens new window), Textile.io, 28 Sep 2018
- IPFS: A Complete Analysis of The Distributed Web (opens new window), zK Capital, 28 Sep 2018 (Clicking this link means you are already using IPFS!)
- Introduction to IPFS: The New & Improved Web (opens new window), 26 Sep 2018
- Crypto-Advocacy Comes Of Age As Trade Groups And Think Tanks Move On Washington (opens new window), Forbes Magazine, 22 Sep 2018
- Presenting a United Front of Blockchain Companies to Work With Congress (opens new window), Bitcoin Magazine, 21 Sep 2018
- Walking the DWeb walk (opens new window) – How we moved our website to secure IPFS thanks to Cloudflare, Textile.io, 20 Sep 2018
- What’s really happening when you add a file to IPFS? (opens new window), 28 Aug 2018
- IPFS & Libp2p Developer Meetings - Growing The Decentralized Tech That Helps OpenBazaar Work (opens new window), OpenBazaar, 30 Jul 2018
- Watch videos from Our Networks 2018 (opens new window), which were also live-streamed over IPFS.
# Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- ipld-explorer-cli 0.14 (opens new window) - IPLD (Inter Planetary Linked Data) is the underlying data structure used by IPFS that allows it to store, retrieve and traverse through any type of content-addressed data.
- ipfs-cluster 0.6.0 (opens new window) – Increased the minor release number to signal changes to the Go APIs after upgrading to the new cid package, but, other than that, this release does not include any major changes.
- qri-io 0.5.4 (opens new window) - A very minor release that cleans up a few issues with the API to make the frontend editor work 😄
- Announcing the launch of 0x protocol v2.0! (opens new window)
# Tools and projects we ❤️
Awesome IPFS (opens new window) is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub (opens new window).
- Download the Brave Beta (opens new window) and get an early preview for new versions of Brave.
- Announcing Hyperswarm (opens new window), Paul Frazee, 26 Sep 2018
- Chattervox (opens new window), 📡 An AX.25 packet radio chat protocol with support for digital signatures and binary compression. Like IRC over radio waves. 〰 24 Sep 2018
- Agoric Releases Distributed Smart Contract Proof of Concept (opens new window), 20 Sep 2018
- This 0x v2.0 AMA on Reddit (opens new window)
- Arbore (opens new window) is a free and open-source file sharing application that enables you to send your pictures, documents, files to your contacts privately and without limits.
- Creativechain (opens new window) – A tool for the empowerment of artists and all kinds of creative people who produce, share and distribute digital content.
- Manyverse (opens new window) A social network off the grid, download the beta version for Android.
# Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io (opens new window)? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- Eth San Francisco (opens new window), 5-7 Oct 2018, San Francisco
- The first Berlin IPFS Meetup is happening on October 11th! Sign up to attend on Meetup. (opens new window)
- Sign up to be notified for IPFS Conf 2019 (opens new window), in Lisbon.
- Introducing AraCon (opens new window), the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29-30, 2019.
# Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.