IPFS Weekly 20
by Jenn Turner on 2018-11-27
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- Did you know there’s an IPFS Weekly Call? Mondays at 5pm, UTC join IPFS contributors around the globe for a face to face meeting that also features one or more short talks from guest presenters! Next week, December 3, presenter Jacob Heun will talk about the recent JS-Libp2p release, and the week after that Sander Pick will share about Textile photos. Check out the IPFS Community Calendar for more dates and info!
- If you are newer to tech but passionate about decentralization you should apply for the IT Engineer role at Protocol Labs. It’s a remote position helping empower the team working on IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more!
Meet Mikeal Rogers 😎
Mikeal Rogers, or @mikeal everywhere online, is a creator of NodeConf and the popular npm package
request. Among his many other achievements, he is a founding member of the Node.js Foundation and currently is the head of community at Protocol Labs. Follow Mikeal on Twitter for insights into open source, IPFS, and even occasionally, fine dining!
IPFS in the wild
- This single-page web app can edit itself, Textile, 26 Nov 2018
- Tutorial: Host your own IPFS node and help the next generation of web, Pact, 25 Nov 2018
- What’s the Real Cost of IPFS?, Pinata, 22 Nov 2018
- KeySpace: End-to-End Encryption Using Ethereum and IPFS, Fluidity, 20 Nov 2018
- Adding a file to IPFS remotely via the API with rails and rest-client, 20 Nov 2018
- Protecting an IPFS node with nginx reverse proxy and http basic auth on Ubuntu 18.04, 20 Nov 2018
- What the Tech? MATRIX supports IPFS, 17 Nov 2018
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Check out the demo for ipfs-live-streaming, created by @ASoTNetworks and @darkdrgn2k to stream videos over IPFS!
- Introducing Subby, an uncensorable publishing platform for content creators.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- OPO.js on December 7 features Alex Potsides of Protocol Labs and some other awesome speaker so if you’re in Porto, check it out.
- Get started with IPFS at the Contribute to Open Source Project IPFS in Berlin on December 9!
- The Internet Archive is hosting a Decentralized Web Meetup on 11 December 2018, in San Francisco, California.
- Sign up to be notified for IPFS Conf 2019, in Lisbon.
- Introducing AraCon, the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29-30, 2019.
- Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 will be on Saturday March 2nd. In 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- Data Terra Nemo is coming up in May 2019, and they’ve announced Juan Benet as their first speaker.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.