# Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) (opens new window) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter! (opens new window)
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
# The latest
# js-ipfs 0.36.0 released 🎉
Last week, a new update for the JS implementation of IPFS was released (opens new window)! Version 0.36.0 has added refs and refs local commands, Base32 encoding for v1 CIDs, updated MDNS discovery compatibility, and more. Read the full details on the IPFS blog (opens new window).
# Missed registration for IPFS Camp? Join the waitlist
It might not be the last chance to attend IPFS Camp this June, in fact, this could be your lucky day! If you missed registration earlier this month, sign up now to get on the waitlist (opens new window)!
# IPFS in the wild
Do you follow IPFS on Twitter (opens new window)? For the latest mentions of IPFS in the news, check our Twitter feed or see the latest articles on Awesome IPFS (opens new window).
- SLIDES: libp2p (opens new window), Shinohara Wataru, 23 May 2019
- IPFS: Technology that’s out of this world (opens new window), Sprint Business Blog, 22 May 2019
- How To Successfully Hosting A Decentralized Website Using ENS/IPFS. (opens new window) Rakesh Kumar, 21 May 2019
- Golem’s short recap on their favorite DTNConf talks! (opens new window) 21 May 2019
- IPFS projects @ ETHNewYork (opens new window), FISSION, 21 May 2019
- DTN Recap (opens new window), 20 May 2019
# Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
# Tools and projects we ❤️
Awesome IPFS (opens new window) is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub (opens new window).
- LineageOS on IPFS (opens new window): A permanent solution to LineageOS’ storage problem.
- Peergos’ Alpha Release, June 2019 (opens new window). Learn more about the end-to-end encrypted, peer-to-peer file storage, sharing and communication network.
# Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io (opens new window)? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 29 May 2019: ProtoSchool Taipei (opens new window) is launching, so join their first event at the AppWorks Taipei office!
- 22 June 2019: Commit Porto '19 (opens new window) is a tech conference that brings together professionals who tackle challenges in software development with the latest technologies, Porto, Portugal.
- 27-30 June 2019: IPFS Camp (opens new window) is a 3 day hacker retreat designed for the builders of the Distributed Web! Barcelona, Spain.
- 18-21 July 2019: DWeb Camp (opens new window) is a chance for dreamers and builders to come together in one of the most beautiful spots on earth for a 4-day retreat to reimagine and build the web we want and deserve, location south of San Francisco, California.
- 2-5 August 2019: Offline Camp (opens new window) is a 4-day retreat to explore Offline First development and design in Grants Pass, Oregon. Learn more about the event here. (opens new window)
# Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.