Welcome to IPFS Weekly 114
by Jenn Turner on 2020-11-18
Here’s what’s happening in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy! 🚀
New releases from js-ipfs, go-libp2p and js-libp2p
Time for some updates y’all! Check out the latest from:
- js-ipfs v0.52: fixes typedef resolution and add examples that use types; removes all esoteric IPLD formats, plus introduces some breaking changes.
- go-libp2p v0.12: introduces a new BasicConnectionGater to filter inbound and outbound connections and makes a significant breaking change to the stream interfaces to remove some surprising behavior.
- js-libp2p v0.29.3: resolves the issue of multiaddrs before dial.
Stay tuned to blog.ipfs.io for more information, coming soon.
Quote of the week
Is digital voting the solution?
The world was recently consumed by the United States presidential election, and that included those working on IPFS. Nate Williams, full-stack developer at Vocdoni, an e-voting project built on Ethereum, zk-SNARKs, and IPFS, recently shared his thoughts on how digital voting can benefit from Web3 technologies.
Brand new on IPFS
- PAPER: A distributed file-based storage system for improving high availability of space weather data.
- Rarible, a community-owned NFT marketplace, rolled out support for music and video NFTs.
- Pinata showed us all how to stream files from AWS S3 to IPFS in their latest tutorial.
People are building the coolest things with IPFS
Build web apps with Ceramic and 3ID Connect.
Learn about distributed pinning of IPFS hashes.
Turn IPFS(File System) into new IPFS(Function as a Service) by adding some TEA.
Textile announces their winner of best Team/Org tool at Apollo: Decentralized Docker Hub.
Introducing democracy.earth, governance for digital autonomous organizations.
VIDEO: Catch Protocol Labs Research grant recipient João Leitão talking about scaling topology management and gossip. João is pursuing research on multi-level DHT design and evaluation.
Laying down the foundations of Winding Tree decentralized travel marketplace.
Technical Intro to Blockchain (Part 3), from the Oxford Blockchain Society.
📆 Upcoming in the community
19 Nov 2020: Munich IPFS Meetup
Speakers include David Craven from the Sunshine Foundation talking about ipfs-embed, and Volker Mische presenting on IPLD and Multiformats.
19 Nov 2020: Filecoin Nov Meetup
Join the Filecoin team, ecosystem partners, and community members for the November meetup on Thursday, 13:00 Pacific.
Job hunting? Work on IPFS!
Support Engineer, Full-Stack: As a support engineer, you’ll write code examples, documentation, build applications, and support our growing community of developers. Contract role, Textile, Remote.
IPFS Engineer: This role is for someone with a deep understanding of IPFS and its ecosystem, and a passion for open source and scientific projects. Ideally they would have contributed to the IPFS project itself. Experience with Docker is also a plus. Arbol, Remote or NYC.
Technical Writer: who can primarily create high-quality technical content, but has some other adjacent skills as well in the form of graphic design and/or video editing. Contract, Remote.
Front-end Developer: Are you an experienced front end dev that understands IPFS and linked data and wants to make an impact on the future of Web3? Ceramic is looking for a contractor to work on Ceramic Explorer.
Take care of yourselves and each other. ❤️
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox, each Tuesday.