IPFS Weekly 53
by Jenn Turner on 2019-08-06
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
Announcing the IPFS Project Q3 Priorities & Working Groups
Earlier this summer, the IPFS team got together to create a plan to make IPFS performant, stable, high quality and updated regularly - and ready to grow even more. Check out the plan, along with remixed working groups and more!
Introducing Multiple-Choice Lessons in ProtoSchool
Did you know that not every lesson in ProtoSchool includes a coding challenge? ProtoSchool has long supported both coding exercises and text-based lessons, but today we’re introducing a new lesson type: multiple-choice. 🎉
As the author of a tutorial, you can now present the learner with a multiple-choice quiz after she reads the text of your lesson, adding some interactivity and a chance to check comprehension before moving on to the next topic. Learn more about building ProtoSchool tutorials.
Learn about Supporting Web Archiving via Web Packaging in the 2019-07-29 IPFS Weekly Call
Last week during the IPFS Weekly Call, Sawood Alam was on hand to give a fantastic presentation on Web Packaging and how it can support web archiving. Check it out!
IPFS in the wild
- Peergos - fast seeking and encrypted history, 1 August 2019
- The Gnosis Monthly Development Update, 1 August 2019
- Ethereum Grid 1.5.0 Release Announcement, 1 August 2019
- The first Redecentralize Digest is out now! 31 July 2019
- Accessing Temporal’s I2P IPFS Infrastructure, 31 July 2019
- Modern Tech Problems and Web 3.0 Solutions, Temporal, 31 July 2019
- New tools and a new look for textile.io, 30 July 2019
- 5 Trends Impacting Blockchain Developers Right Now, ConsenSys, 22 July 2019
Open Positions working on IPFS
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
- UI/UX Designer, Qri, Brooklyn, New York (US)
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
COMING SOON: ⚡️js-ipfs v0.37.0 🚀
This next release for js-ipfs includes a new constructor, support for DNSLink IPNS name resolution, delegated peer and content routing, and more!
- Haven has landed – The first full-featured mobile app for OpenBazaar (proudly powered by IPFS!) is now available. Shop, chat and send cryptocurrencies privately from wherever you are with your iOS or Android device.
- Peergos v0.1.0 - Fast seeking, encrypted history, and space usage display
- Textile has a new blog, a new forum and a new website!
IPFS in progress
These IPFS projects have the potential to be amazing, but they need a little help from you!
- IPFS Distributions: It’d be great to get an RSS feed for our releases.
- IPFS for flashcards. Cards could be used by any program.
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- anytype.io: Like Notion but self hosted, private, and free!
- Decentralized Browser MIX Acuity 1.0 Released
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 7 August 2019: Paris P2P is holding its first event, Paris P2P #0 to discuss the topics of peer-to-peer (P2P), decentralization, networks and autonomous communities, distributed and decentralized systems, and more. Submit your talk ideas here for future events. Paris, France.
- 8 August 2019: IPFS Meet & Hack is a monthly get-together to discuss all things IPFS. Hosted by San Francisco IPFS, sign up to present. San Francisco (CA), United States.
- 14 August 2019: Join Women Who Code Cloud for an Introduction to IPFS inspiring women to excel in technology careers. Remote event.
- 21-23 August 2019: DappCon Berlin: A global developer conference for Ethereum Dapps, Infrastructure, and token engineering, Berlin Germany.
- 23-25 August 2019: ETHBerlinZwei is the second iteration of ETHBerlin, a hackathon, a culture festival, an educational event, a platform for hacktivism, and a community initiative to push the decentralized ecosystem forward. Berlin, Germany.
- RESCHEDULED – 27-30 September 2019: Offline Camp Oregon had to be postponed, but it’s still happening! Hear how past campers describe this unique unconference retreat focused on the Offline First approach to web development and design.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.