IPFS Weekly 54
by Jenn Turner on 2019-08-13
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
As promised, js-ipfs 0.37.0 has been released
The latest release of js-ipfs introduces a brand new constructor, better DNSLink support and delegated routing! See the IPFS blog for the full release details.
js-libp2p adds Gossipsub support and Promisify API
The folks working on Libp2p have been busy too! Last week, they announced the release of js-libp2p version 0.26.0 which adds support for a more efficient pubsub router (Gossipsub) and Promisify for the time being. Check it out!
Hello ipfs-cohost 👋
Created by @olizilla, ipfs-cohost is a CLI to co-host websites published to IPFS. If your domain has a DNSlink to a CID, then ipfs-cohost will let others pin it to their IPFS node.
IPFS in the wild
- The Great Calamity Circumvention Assembly at IPFS Camp 2019, Alan Shaw, 11 August 2019
- VIDEO: David from TAU Coin talks Mobile Mining, IPFS, Proof of Transaction, KYC, Aging Escape Velocity, Crypto Grownups, 11 August 2019
- IPFS Production Configuration, Coinmonks, 9 August 2019
- Applications on Peergos, Peergos, 9 August 2019
- libp2p devgrants: A meeting point between co-funders (Protocol Labs, Ethereum, Polkadot, others) and aspiring grantees to openly discuss, scope and spec projects to be incentivised. 8 August 2019
- Kenya Blockchain & AI Taskforce Report on IPFS, Bits Wallet, 8 August 2019
- My IPFS Hosting Setup, Emiel Kollof, 8 August 2019
- Technologies Defining the Next Generation of the Web, Temporal, 8 August 2019
- How To Get Started With IPFS and Node, BetterProgramming, 7 August 2019
- RTrade Announces CEO & CTO to Deliver ‘Dawn of the Distributed Internet’ Speech at Futurist 2019 Toronto, 7 August 2019
- What is Web3? (Transcript), Juan Benet at Web3 Summit 2018, translated into Japanese, 28 July 2019
- #tbt IPFS 👽 and Merkle Forest🌳, Hackernoon, 14 April 2018
Open Positions working on IPFS
- Senior Golang Engineer, IPFS-Force, Shanghai, China
- React Native Developer, Berty, Paris, France
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
- UI/UX Designer, Qri, Brooklyn, New York (US)
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- IPFS Laravel Library: a simple library to access IPFS services in Laravel. It works via use of the HTTP API to give simple access to IPFS functions including navigating content, retrieving pictures and files, and adding text and files to the IPFS network.
- Peergos v0.1.1 - including PDF viewer and text/code editor
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- SourceCred 0.4.0 is shipped! SourceCred aims to empower open-source developers and communities by creating a project-specific reputation metric called cred.
- Ambients is a protocol for distributed computation. It allows developers to build decentralized applications, databases and services and to deploy and run them in a peer-to-peer network.
- Librem 5 – The only modern smartphone you can (truly) own.
- The Nethereum playground now loads the Nethereum assemblies and dependencies from IPFS, making it much faster the initial load and caching of assemblies for compilation.
- The Eternal Word of God – The un-censorable Bible in 20+ languages, built on IPFS.
- OwnPaste - Decentralized pseudonymous pastebin
- Permanent Upload is a simple, secure, and easy tool to upload any file onto the IPFS.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 14 August 2019: Join Women Who Code Cloud for an Introduction to IPFS inspiring women to excel in technology careers. Remote event.
- 16 August 2019: Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies & IPFS: As usual we will discuss the latest events that are changing and shaping the world Crypto and WEB 3.0, a decentralized everything. San Diego, CA (US).
- 21-23 August 2019: DappCon Berlin: A global developer conference for Ethereum Dapps, Infrastructure, and token engineering, Berlin Germany.
- 22 August 2019: ProtoSchool Seattle is hosting an August Decentralized Web Meetup, details TBA! Seattle, WA (US).
- 23-25 August 2019: ETHBerlinZwei is the second iteration of ETHBerlin, a hackathon, a culture festival, an educational event, a platform for hacktivism, and a community initiative to push the decentralized ecosystem forward. Berlin, Germany.
- 31 August 2019: ProtoSchool - Shanghai Chapter: Technical Salon Session 5: Protoshool Shanghai Chapter is a group of people passionate about the Decentralized Web and excited to learn, teach, and share ideas. Everyone is welcome! Shanghai, China.
- 4 September 2019: Paris P2P is a monthly meeting organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
- RESCHEDULED – 27-30 September 2019: Offline Camp Oregon had to be postponed, but it’s still happening! Hear how past campers describe this unique unconference retreat focused on the Offline First approach to web development and design.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.