IPFS Weekly 58
by Jenn Turner on 2019-09-10
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
Check out the latest version of the IPFS Desktop with new sweet features!
The 0.9.0 version now allows you to navigate, not only your own files and pins, but the whole /ipfs and /ipns universe.
Sync service has been migrated from Consul to Redis
See the tradeoffs and prototyped solution on our testground. Then, try it for yourself!
IPFS in the wild
- Setting up an IPFS Node using docker-compose and certbot, Will Schenk, 7 Sep 2019
- Enterprise IPFS for True Supply Chain Provenance — Part 1, RTrade Technologies, 6 Sep 2019
- VIDEO: Topper Talks Tupelo with the IPFS Community, 5 Sep 2019
- Tutorial: How to Build an IPFS & Text Notification App, SimpleID, 5 Sep 2019
- A Step by Step Guide to Building a Zero Dependency Notes App on IPFS, Hackernoon, 4 Sep 2019
- VIDEO: Open Source Coin & Radicle - Barcelona Free Software, KDE España, 4 Sep 2019
- An Introduction To Blockchain Application Development — Part 2⁄2, Kristjan Kosic, 4 Sep 2019
- VIDEO: 18 Decentralised Database Panel: GunDB, Textile, Fluence, VulcanizeDB, Decentralized Storage Summit 2019, 3 Sep 2019
- RTrade Technologies Partners with Textile to Provide Digital Infrastructure for Textile Cafes, Temporal, 3 Sep 2019
- Tutorial: Build a Zero Dependency Notes App on IPFS — Part II, SimpleID, 3 Sep 2019
- VIDEO: EO Data Challenge proposals, Teodora Selea, Ivian Adrian Albu, Bang Pham Huu, Vasil Yordanov, Iván Sánchez Ortega, Candan Eylül Kilsedar and Volker Mische for FOSS4G 2019, 30 August 2019
- VIDEO: Geodata on IPFS, Volker Mische for FOSS4G 2019, 29 August 2019
- ESSAY: Protocols, Not Platforms: A Technological Approach to Free Speech, Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, 21 August 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- The latest Go release, version 1.13, arrives six months after Go 1.12.
- Lighthouse Update #15: Coming soon to a multi-client testnet near you!
Open Positions working on IPFS
- React Native Developer, Berty, Paris, France
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Dicoogle IPFS Storage Plugin – A Dicoogle plugin to support the storage of files over IPFS.
- Elastos Hive is a basic service infrastructure that provides decentralized storage capabilities to Apps
- GitHuman — Decentralized alternative to GitHub and GitLab
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 16 September 2019: Victoria Tech Meetup September 2019: sign up to attend once they’ve confirmed date and venue! Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- 19 September 2019: San Francisco IPFS is hosting How IPFS Works at Starfish Mission, so sign up to attend and learn more about IPFS and how it actually works! San Francisco, CA, USA
- 20-22 September 2019: Our Networks 2019 RE: Infrastructures explores the collective care and maintenance of alternative networking practices—new protocols, peer-to-peer connections, offline-first computing, and community-based governance. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 27-30 September 2019: Offline Camp Oregon had to be postponed, but it’s still happening! Hear how past campers describe this unique unconference retreat focused on the Offline First approach to web development and design.
- 28 September 2019: ProtoSchool - Shanghai Chapter: Technical Salon Session 6 will take place at Caohejing International Incubation Center. Shanghai, China
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.