IPFS Weekly 61
by Jenn Turner on 2019-10-01
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
js-ipfs 0.38.0 is out now!
Watch this short documentary: The Decentralized Web Is Coming
Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Twitter are in the federal government’s crosshairs, but the technology necessary to undermine their dominance may already exist. See how IPFS plays a role in the internet of the future.
At Grace Hopper in Orlando this week? Swing by the PL booth
Stop by the Protocol Labs booth at Grace Hopper this week to chat with the team, learn more about our open positions, and sign up for a complimentary professional-grade headshot!
IPFS in the wild
- Understanding IPFS in Depth(1⁄6): A Beginner to Advanced Guide, Hackernoon, 30 Sep 2019
- DFile: A fancy IPFS-based file sharing mode, Bruce Meerkat, 30 Sep 2019
- Understanding IPFS in Depth(3⁄6): What is InterPlanetary Naming System(IPNS)? Hackernoon, 30 Sep 2019
- Enterprise IPFS Platform to be added to Hydro dApp Store, Temporal, 30 Sep 2019
- ethoFS Windows and macOS Support Now in Beta! The Ether-1 Project, 28 Sep 2019
- Short documentary on the quest to re-decentralize the internet, Boing Boing, 27 Sep 2019
- General Terms and Conditions Deposit with Bitcoin Blockchain and IPFS, Bèr Kessels, 27 Sep 2019
- Leveraging the Graph Protocol to improve user experience and rapidly iterate on ideas, The Graph, 25 Sep 2019
- Diffusion Developer Conference with IPFS Help Desk, FISSION, 25 Sep 2019
- Why IPFS is Needed in Video Streaming? Sasha Sydney, 25 Sep 2019
- Internet decentralized and distributed with IPFS, Iker Landajuela, 23 Sep 2019
- Running IPFS on Chromebooks, fission forum, 23 Sep 2019
- PHOTO: Hector Sanjuan giving a technical introduction to IPFS! Our Networks, 22 Sep 2019
- The definite guide to your high-performance IPFS Gateway, The Stacktical Blog, 21 Sep 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- Introducing Qri Desktop: As an open-source project, Qri is both the resource and product of a community of contributors and data enthusiasts - many of whom share feature ideas, help find and squash bugs, or contribute code and datasets.
Open Positions working on IPFS
- React Native Developer, Berty, Paris, France
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- The PageSaver saves pages of the web onto ipfs, and gives you links to the public gateways.
- DFile: How to use IPFS as a file storage by python+flask
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- TONIGHT! 1 October 2019: DWeb SF Meet Up– October, we loved the community and sharing at DWeb Camp 2019 so much, so let’s keep the momentum going! Come meet others interested in building a decentralized web, the web we need and deserve. San Francisco, CA, US.
- 2 October 2019: Paris P2P Monthly Peer to Beer is a meeting organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
- 7 October 2019: Get Ready for Mars, an IPFS Workshop in Osaka invites you to dive deeper into how IPFS works under the hood, and how to practically use IPFS in new projects. Osaka, Japan.
- 16 October 2019: IPFS Colorado User Testing Day: Help make an impact on the UX of the peer-to-peer internet and get a day of free coworking and coffee in return! Boulder/Denver, Colorado USA.
- 16 October 2019: IPFS Colorado Basics Night: Collab between IPFS Colorado and Ethereum Boulder! Join us for an awesome IPFS overview plus an interactive tutorial on IPFS basics. Boulder/Denver, Colorado USA.
- 19-20 October 2019: Diffusion 2019 Join and connect to some of the world’s most exciting Web 3 protocols in blockchain, AI, IoT and Big Data from across The Convergence Stack, for a 2-day dev con made up of hacks, exclusive product launches, and live demos. Berlin, Germany.
- 28-30 October 2019: Open Source Summit + ELC Europe 2019 will feature Trevor Conn of Dell Technologies presenting “Securely Store IOT Edge Data with IPFS and Distributed Ledger.” Lyon, France.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.