IPFS Weekly 64
by Jenn Turner on 2019-10-22
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
See IPFS Camp Keynotes and Interviews
We’re excited to share the Keynotes that brought us together on our first and last days of IPFS Camp, and the Community Interviews that highlight some of the amazing work being done by IPFS Camp attendees in the wider ecosystem.
WATCH: IPFS Basics Night with ProtoSchool Denver
IPFS Basics presentation followed by interactive demo of real-time collaboration tools from the Cryptorado Community!
Presenting Building Web3 at Web3 Summit 2019
Catch up on Juan Benet’s talk from Web3 Summit 2019 on Building Web3.
IPFS in the wild
- Peergos update: 2X faster and transaction aware GC, Peergos, 21 Oct 2019
- Exploding IPFS data — enabling single use links, expiring links and more through a simple link shortening service. Textile, 18 Oct 2019
- KILLER DAPPS: The Best Decentralized Alternatives To Conventional Networks, Creary, 15 Oct 2019
- TUTORIAL: Online Publication using IPFS, SimpleAsWater, 13 Oct 2019
- TUTORIAL: How To Setup A Private IPFS Cluster, Raptoreum, 11 Oct 2019
- SLIDES: Demystifying gossipsub, Raúl Kripalani for Devcon5, Osaka, 9 Oct 2019
Open Positions working on IPFS
- Tech Lead, Distributed Systems Test Infrastructure, Protocol Labs, Remote
- Distributed Systems Engineer, IPFS Cluster (Go), Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- Peergos v0.1.3: Huge speed up, native builds and transaction aware GC
- Qri Desktop 0.1.0 is OUT! Version your datasets locally and publish them (with full commit history) to the cloud.
- ARK Core v2.6 is Now Live On Devnet
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Announcing lotus, the first alternate Filecoin implementation!
- 3Box Ghost Threads API: Ghost threads are a different type of thread that doesn’t persist any messages to database storage. Instead, messages are sent from one peer to the rest of the network using IPFS pubsub, and upon receipt by other online peers are kept in-memory.
- Large is a P2P blogging platform. Build an online community that’s run and hosted by the community.
- Permaweb runs on a series of self-hosted nodes. These are powered by Textile.io, which is acts as a digital wallet for fully encrypted, decentralized content. Content is stored using the IPFS protocol, which makes Permaweb links unique and permanent.
- SourceCred Color Exploration: an opportunity to launch a lighthearted game using cred!
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 23 October 2019: Decentralized Web Prague hosts IPFS Meetup #2: Files in IPFS and hands-on workshop: In the first half of the meetup, we will dive deeper into how IPFS handles files. In the second half, we will explore together the explained concepts hands-on. Prague, Czechia.
- 25 October 2019: Redecentralize Conference 2019 – Interested in a fairer, freer web and net? Working on decentralisation? Care about privacy, autonomy and our future digital infrastructure? Then join us to learn, compare experiences, bounce ideas, share challenges and lessons learnt, hatch collaborations, plan campaigns and start projects. London, UK.
- 27 October 2019: Force Commercial Platform Based on IPFS – This meetup hosted by the IPFS Force Community will introduce the IPFS Force commercial platform, which connects decentralized storage providers and users on top of the IPFS network. Shanghai, China.
- 28-30 October 2019: Open Source Summit + ELC Europe 2019 will feature Trevor Conn of Dell Technologies presenting “Securely Store IOT Edge Data with IPFS and Distributed Ledger.” Lyon, France.
- 6 November 2019: Paris P2P Monthly Peer to Beer is a monthly meetup organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
- 14 November 2019: DWeb Talks: Carson Farmer of Textile.io hosted by ProtoSchool Seattle. Come and hear from decentralized web developer Carson Farmer on Textile.io! Seattle, WA (US)
- 6 December 2019: React Day Berlin: Build code, not walls. Take part in the exploration of the React universe! Focusing on in-depth talks, hands-on workshops, and finding new opportunities, React Day Berlin conference provides space for everyone to make friends and develop stellar apps together. Berlin, Germany.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.