IPFS Weekly 65
by Jenn Turner on 2019-10-29
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
Learn how to use go-ipfs as a Library 📚
The title says it all. Learn how to use go-ipfs as a library with this new tutorial and take full advantage of the go-ipfs Core API.
js-ipfs 0.39.0 released 🎉
Woo hoo! Configure your node with preset profiles! Limit outgoing browser requests! Start your node from fresh with one command! All with js-ipfs 0.39.0!
IPFS in the wild
- PHOTO: Tim Berners-Lee seems to be a fan of IPFS and libp2p, Twitter, 29 Oct 2019
- RTrade Technologies Partners with Dappkit Utilizing Enterprise IPFS Infrastructure & APIs, Temporal, 28 Oct 2019
- PHOTOS: After #devcon5 and #CrosslinkTaiwan, we were at #IPFS meetup last Monday! Twitter, 27 Oct 2019
- Observer October update: IPFS and Built-ins, Paul Rumkin, 27 Oct 2019
- Why Tech Can Still Create a Bright Future, as explained to my skeptical father. Alex White, 25 Oct 2019
- TUTORIAL: How To Setup A Public IPFS Gateway, Raptoreum, 25 Oct 2019
- Towards Autonomous Organizations — Past, Present, Future, Jose Jubin, 25 Oct 2019
- Ocean Protocol and IPFS, Sitting In The Merkle Tree, Ocean Protocol, 24 Oct 2019
- Introducing Embeddable Textile, Textile, 23 Oct 2019
- TUTORIAL: Embark is Awesome! Andrej, 23 Oct 2019
- ARK Development Roadmap: Moving Towards 2020, ARK, 23 Oct 2019
- Function X, a Modern Smartphone with Blockchain technology, Afton Aila, 21 Oct 2019
- PODCAST: Distributed Web: The democratization of the web? 14 Oct 2019
- Designing a Distributed Ledger Technology System for Interoperable and General Data Protection Regulation–Compliant Health Data Exchange: A Use Case in Blood Glucose Data, Hawig D, Zhou C, Fuhrhop S, Fialho AS, Ramachandran N, Journal of Medical Internet Research, June 2019
Open Positions working on IPFS
- Tech Lead, Distributed Systems Test Infrastructure, Protocol Labs, Remote
- Distributed Systems Engineer, IPFS Cluster (Go), Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- async-std v0.99.11 has been released! Includes added sync::channel, added Future::delay, added Stream::timeout, fixes for task::block_on, and faster fs::File operations.
- Ocean Protocol v1.1 Released: A minor maintenance update with some new features: IPFS file hosting integration, new Events-Handler component, and Commons as default UI in Barge.
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- os – Experiment to build some kind of operating-system-like environment where executables are all in WASM and are loaded from some IPFS-like decentralized network.
- The Graph Network In Depth
- Witness – Immortalize files on the Ethereum blockchain with IPFS
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 28-30 October 2019: Open Source Summit + ELC Europe 2019 will feature Trevor Conn of Dell Technologies presenting “Securely Store IOT Edge Data with IPFS and Distributed Ledger.” Lyon, France.
- 30 October 2019: Data Science Wrangle Palo Alto – Come network, socialize, and trade notes with practitioners at the leading edge of data science innovation and learn how professionals are driving business outcomes with ML in their day-to-day workflows. Palo Alto, CA (US)
- 6 November 2019: Paris P2P Monthly Peer to Beer is a monthly meetup organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
- 14 November 2019: DWeb Talks: Carson Farmer of Textile.io hosted by ProtoSchool Seattle. Come and hear from decentralized web developer Carson Farmer on Textile.io! Seattle, WA (US)
- 6 December 2019: React Day Berlin: Build code, not walls. Take part in the exploration of the React universe! Focusing on in-depth talks, hands-on workshops, and finding new opportunities, React Day Berlin conference provides space for everyone to make friends and develop stellar apps together. Berlin, Germany.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.