IPFS Weekly 70
by Jenn Turner on 2019-12-03
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
js-ipfs 0.40.0 released 🎉
Good news friends! The new version of js-ipfs now ships with a repo migration tool that’ll automatically migrate repo’s in the browser. Read the full release post to learn more!
GeoHot hacks on IPFS during “Simple Skills Sunday”
Recently George Hotz, or GeoHot, got the chance to hack on some IPFS while creating Tic Tac Toe in React for Simple Skills Sunday. Check out the full video, or skip to 2:45:00 to get straight to the IPFS bit.
IPFS in the wild
- SLIDES: cyber: Computing the knowledge of the Great Web, @xhipster and @litvintech, 1 Dec 2019
- PHOTO: Henrique Dias guided the BarcampLX audience through a quick dive into the decentralized web with IPFS, 30 Nov 2019
- Code Talks: Application of Zero-Knowledge Proof Technology in the Blockchain Industry, PPIO, 29 Nov 2019
- TUTORIAL: Building IPFS Applications with Node.Js, The Startup, 29 Nov 2019
- How the Interplanetary File System (IPFS) Could Decentralize the Web, Make Tech Easier, 28 Nov 2019
- Compliant Data-Driven Advertising in the Era of Regulations, 2key, 28 Nov 2019
- Performance Testing IPFS Protocol, Naveen Kumar Namachivayam, 24 Nov 2019
- How To Fix Everything That’s Wrong With the Internet, Martti Malmi, 2 Nov 2019
Open Positions working on IPFS
- Tech Lead, Distributed Systems Test Infrastructure, Protocol Labs, Remote
- Distributed Systems Engineer, IPFS Cluster (Go), Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Confidential InterPlanetary File System: an open-source encryption layer for IPFS, enabling anybody with an internet connection to access free confidential decentralized storage.
- Open Street Map tile server on IPFS: a raster tile system, in which image data storage and transmission is distributed via IPFS!
- CyberCongress: It’s hard to explain simply what it is.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 3-4 December 2019: Actyx Hackathon, hosted by SmartFactoryOWL, is coming next month. As part of the hackathon, the application of the Actyx platform, (which uses IPFS and libp2p) will be tested and applied to the “living object.” Lemgo, Germany.
- 4 December 2019: Paris P2P #4 is a meetup organized by and for the community passionate about P2P and cryptography in Paris, France.
- 6 December 2019: React Day Berlin: Build code, not walls. Take part in the exploration of the React universe! Focusing on in-depth talks, hands-on workshops, and finding new opportunities, React Day Berlin conference provides space for everyone to make friends and develop stellar apps together. Berlin, Germany.
- 7-8 December 2019: IndieWebCamp San Francisco is a two day workshop for creatives who want to discuss, brainstorm, or hack on any and all independent, distribute, local, offline, indieweb technologies for practical usable open web solutions to real world problems and social media. San Francisco (CA), United States.
- 11 December 2019: Lyon P2P is a meetup to discuss the topics of peer-to-peer (P2P), decentralization, offline-first applications, networks, confidentiality, anti-surveillance, anti-censorship, security, and more! Lyon, France.
- 8 January 2020: Paris P2P Festival is an opportunity to federate and allow the meeting of Peer-2-Peer actors in all its forms to meet around all themes related to Peer-to-Peer. For more information on the free four day festival, visit p2p.paris.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.