IPFS Weekly 74
by Jenn Turner on 2020-01-21
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
Top 10 recent highlights
- IPFS Companion v2.10.0 shipped, it now adds files to your MFS rather than just pinning them, so you can find them later!
- Missed the Local Offline Collaboration Monthly meeting? Catch up on the video here
- Why build this blog—or anything—on IPFS?
- ProtoSchool celebrated their 1 year anniversary!
- New tutorial: Decentralizing your Website
- Read this survey of social applications that have incorporated a blockchain into their design in Blockchain Social Networks
- Hands-on IPLD Tutorial in Golang: PART 2 available now on Simple as Water
- Vue.js + IPFS = VIPFS. Create unstoppable applications
- Anytype.io has launched, join the beta here!
- “Is There Any Hope…Only If We Work Together…” Sharing Everything Always
- Qri shipped a new docs page 🎉
- Peergos asks what would the perfect social network look like?
- Cyber is a consensus computer on top of IPFS that uses IPFS hashes to create cyberlinks. In other words, it is a decentralized search engine built with the help of IPFS. They have recently released their testnet: Euler-5. It is an incentivized testnet that allows launching validator nodes, searching for content on IPFS and most importantly create cyberlinks (semantically link IPFS hashes to create a semantic core). Watch this video to learn more!
- Introducing Tipsets: A closer look at Filecoin building blocks
Win the Decentralized Future Prize
Nesta is launching an open call for essays that explore how the next decade of decentralization could change the way we work together towards shared goals, how we structure organizations and the societal impacts of these changes. We want these essays to inform policymakers and the public about the potential of these new technologies and inspire a new wave of innovators to experiment with different organizational structures for social good. The writer of the best essay will secure a £3,000 prize; to enter, you’ll need to send us a short written pitch for your essay (500 words max) by Sunday 26th January.
Work in progress
- Coming soon: the js-ipfs async-await refactor. It’s currently closer than it’s ever been to being done.
- Can you write great docs? There’s never been a better time to help the global IPFS community by contributing to our new docs beta site!
- gomobile-ipfs is almost ready!
Check out our mentions
- ARTICLE: Status introduces beta version of web3 crowdfunding tool Assemble, 18 Jan 2020
- POST: Car Lifecycle on the Blockchain, 16 Jan 2020
- TUTORIAL: Configuring IPFS part 2, 16 Jan 2020
“…the website for Elon Musk’s SpaceX project is hosted on IPFS. So when you type in SpaceX.eth, Blockchain Router will decode it into a 32-byte link, look up the website on a blockchain, verify it, and download the site, piece by piece, from a bunch of nodes in the network.” – A new, easier way to access Web3: The “blockchain router. 13 Jan 2020
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Temporal Partners with Rivet Utilizing IPFS APIs and Powerful Infrastructure. 13 Jan 2020
- TUTORIAL: How to Use Unstoppable Domains, 12 Jan 2020
- POST: Distributed Internet — IPFS & Blockchain. 06 Jan 2020
“Take a look at what happens when you add a file to IPFS. Your file, and all of the blocks within it, is given a unique fingerprint.” – Live Chat Application With IPFS & Pubsub & React, 03 Jan 2020
- POST: Polkadot 2019: Year in review, 29 Dec 2019
- POST: Docker, Kubernetes and the Butterfly Protocol, 18 Dec 2019
- POST: Off-Chain Data: Why traditional clouds don’t work for blockchain data, 17 Dec 2019
- TUTORIAL: Create a Decentralized Database using Tangle and IPFS for beginners, 17 Dec 2019
Quote of the week
Open positions working on IPFS
- Research Engineers and Scientists, ResNetLab
- Golang Engineer, focused on p2p systems and immutable data types, Qri
- IPFS Community Lead, Protocol Labs
- Project Operator, IPFS, Protocol Labs
- Specifications Engineer, libp2p, Protocol Labs
- Senior Software Engineer, IPFS or libp2p, Protocol Labs
- Engineering Manager, IPFS, Protocol Labs
Join the community at these upcoming events
- DWeb SF Meet Up Explores Decentralized Social Media, 21 Jan 2020, San Francisco (CA), US
- DWeb Talks: Kelsey Breseman–a DWeb Primer, Decentralized Web Seattle, 30 Jan 2020, Seattle (WA), US
- WEBINAR: Do you dare to know how IPFS and Blockchain work? 30 Jan 2020
- FOSDEM 2020, 1-2 Feb 2020, Brussels, Belgium
- Paris P2P #6, 5 Feb 2020, Paris, France
- Distributed Networks Summit – IPFS & Friends, 13 Feb 2020, Denver (CO), US
- #BUIDL Week Colorado – ETHDenver 2020, 13-17 Feb 2020, Denver (CO), US
- Open Data Day 2020, 7 Mar 2020, 35 events registered so far!
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox each Tuesday.