IPFS Weekly 77
by Jenn Turner on 2020-02-11
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
Our focus for 2020: 📞 Content Routing
Yesterday we released our roadmap for 2020 and more, in a post examining our project focus for the coming year. Beginning with an excellent recap of 2019—including some of the year’s top wins—as well as describing the unenviable process of roadmapping and decisions that led to our chosen focus, you can read all this and more on the IPFS blog.
Introducing the Interplanetary Testground
Last week, another project entered the Interplanetary realm: Testground! Though created by the helping hands of IPFS and friends, Testground is a general-purpose, agnostic platform for testing distributed software at scale. Take a look at the latest release notes and give it a try! 💫
Top 5 recent highlights
- Have we mentioned the biggest of Big Refactors yet?
- With js-libp2p 0.27 released, not only did the Async Await refactor of js-libp2p land, but we’ve measured memory usage improvements between 30-40% compared to the previous version!
- Hey IPFS Community, come hack with us at ETHDenver this week!
- “At age 30, this is not the Web we wanted…” The 3 Revolutions of Web 3
- What are you working on with IPFS? a thread 🧵
Check out “The Path to Peer-to-Peer Matrix” from Matthew Hodgson from FOSDEM, earlier this month.
People are building cool stuff with IPFS
- libp2p-lora-transport: Enabling low-bandwidth LibP2P protocols to communicate over LoRa, a low-powered long-range wireless protocol (WIP)
- 3Box messaging plugins get more social!
- Qri Desktop 0.3.5 upgrades electron & electron-builder, re-enabling auto-update on the app.
- The Butterfly Mobile App: Your Butterfly identity is owned by you within your Ethereum wallet, to which only you have the secret to access.
- Robonomics Network: Ethereum network infrastructure for cyber-physical systems’ integration into Smart Cities and Industry 4.0
Quote of the week
Open positions working on IPFS
- Backend Software Engineeer, Qri
- Frontend Software Engineer, Qri
- Research Engineers and Scientists, ResNetLab
- IPFS Community Lead, Protocol Labs
- Project Operator, IPFS, Protocol Labs
- Specifications Engineer, libp2p, Protocol Labs
- Senior Software Engineer, IPFS or libp2p, Protocol Labs
- Engineering Manager, IPFS, Protocol Labs
Join the community at these upcoming events
- Distributed Networks Summit – IPFS & Friends, 13 Feb 2020, Denver (CO), US
- #BUIDL Week Colorado - ETHDenver 2020, 13-17 Feb 2020, Denver (CO), US
- Stanford Blockchain Conference 2020, 19-20 Feb 2020, Stanford (CA), US
- Ethereum Community Conference 3, 03-05 Mar 2020, Paris, France
- Open Data Day 2020, 07 Mar 2020, 35 events registered so far!
- Cryptoeconomic Systems Conference ‘20, 07-08 Mar 2020, Cambridge (MA), US
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox each Tuesday.