IPFS Weekly 85
by Jenn Turner on 2020-04-14
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
ProtoSchool explores the Async Iterables returned by js-ipfs 0.41
The recent release of js-ipfs 0.41 introduced a huge async/await refactor, and the breaking changes were no joke! The affected ProtoSchool tutorials have been updated to reflect the recent changes, highlighting which js-ipfs methods now return Async Iterables and how you can use /for await…of/ loops or alternative helper modules to work with them.
Check out the updated content in our Mutable File System (MFS) and Regular Files API tutorials, then check out the updated event submission process for local leaders to list virtual workshops on ProtoSchool’s events page!
Latest launches 🚀
- Multiple versions of aegir shipped with some nice developer experience improvements like testing helpers (echo server, for example), get free port and more. Also hooks can now forward environment vars to the test runners.
- Shipped ipfsd-ctl with better docs, less node globals and other minors improvements
- The pubsub discovery module was released
- NodeFactory released libp2p-noise last week. Yay, handshakes all around! 🤝
- Lastly, the IPFS Distributions website got a fun IPFS rebrand! Enjoy!
Using IPFS to fight COVID-19
Here is a followup to our bounty for creating a CORD-19 dataset:
We now have a CORD-19 collaborative cluster dataset, but it won’t be useful if the people that should use it don’t know that they can access this content from the IPFS network!
Please share it freely: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/Qme2F949GSfupReGPMKJ4EQTGi9hzzUcsJvRS1Mr8YVNzQ
Not only did our friends at Terminal do an entire platform rebrand to become Fleek, but they’ve been busy churning out new features at the same time! Check out their latest announcement detailing their user interface rebrand, an introduction to the Teams feature, and new fan favorite: Framework Auto Detection.
Top highlights this week
- Brave Launches Origin-Powered Store
- Pinata asks, “Who Is Responsible for NFT Data?” 🤔
- Since there wasn’t one, @mborho wrote a Terraform provider for IPFS!
- Have you watched this video on Decentralized React states - using IPFS to sync, store, and recover state from Andrew Hill of Textile? Because you should.
- Check out the video from the Open Tech Will Save Us meetup, featuring talks on IPFS, Matrix, and Jitsi
People are building the coolest stuff with IPFS
- Crust implements the incentive layer protocol for decentralized storage with adapting to multiple storage layer protocols including IPFS, and provides support for the application layer.
- Energy Web Chain’s DID Library is now open-source.
- Fetch.ai Agent Framework v0.3: The collaborative, communications and smart contract release, built with IPFS
- The latest from Fission: Fear and Loathing and IPFS file metadata tricks
- Use Infura as the bridge between the Ethereum network and your application to build your own API to invoke Compound protocol smart contracts using conventional HTTP requests.
- The KyberWidget is now hosted on IPFS, meaning it can be used by anyone, anywhere in the world!
- Qri CLI v0.9.7 is huge. This release adds SQL support, turning Qri into an ever-growing database of open datasets. If that wasn’t enough, we’ve added tab completion, nicer automatic commit messages, unified our command descriptions, and fixed a whole slew of bugs!
- Raw.chat: A censorship-resistant chat app using IPFS and libp2p/gossipsub.
- Textile gave us a Threads progress report for 2020 April 7 🎉
- Temporal decided to kick things up a notch with their nodes to ensure support and performance for big data IPFS work loads.
- Totem: Manage your files, crypto assets, 3Box profile and more! It is build on Ethereum and IPFS. The public beta launches soon!
Calls for contributors
Come hack on the OpenTelemetry Tracing for OrbitDB. This, combined with the HTTP tracing in #IPFS could lead to some awesome metrics + tracing +observability on the distributed web.
Attend one of these exciting events from the comfort of your own home
- 3rd ZK Proof Workshop: April-May 2020, Bringing together top researchers, developers and business practitioners to showcase the latest academic achievements and practical applications for ZKP privacy schemes.
- ETHGlobal: 30 day virtual hackathon beginning 2020 Apr 24! Designed for hackers around the world to build DeFi applications. Apply now to participate!
- Ethereal Virtual Summit: 2020 May 7-8, Join the first-ever virtual conference and experience a stellar collaboration of technologists, artists, startups, entrepreneurs, and investors engaging directly with the latest developments in Ethereum, blockchain, and decentralization.
- Consensus Distributed: 2020 May 11-15, Tune in for dozens of sessions across multiple tracks and days to better understand what the future might look like, especially in a post-COVID-19 era. It’s the same great content you’ve come to expect from Consensus, but virtual.
Job hunting? Work on IPFS!
- Community Engineer, libp2p: Help introduce new open source projects to libp2p and clear hurdles for them to adopt the libp2p stack for the networking layer of their system. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Engineering Manager, IPFS: Engineering managers have the challenging and exciting task of supporting and empowering engineering teams to deliver complex internet-scale systems in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source. Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Community Lead: Provide tactical support for the IPFS community, creating a global community strategy, and executing this strategy on the ground! Protocol Labs, Remote
- Software Engineer, the Underlay Project: Strong full-stack web developer with an interest in semantic web and decentralized web technologies. The Knowledge Futures Group, Remote
- Technical Product Manager, 3Box: Own the delivery of new technical products and features across the 3Box suite of developer APIs, SDKs, and plugins, and manage the onboarding, engagement and partnership activities to ensure a thriving community and network. 3Box, NYC, Berlin, or Remote
Take care of yourselves and each other. ❤️
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox, each Tuesday.