IPFS Weekly 88
by Jenn Turner on 2020-05-05
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
News about the 0.5 Release last week
- Decentralized Web Protocol IPFS Has Its Biggest Update So Far – CoinTelegraph
- The InterPlanetary File System gets a network upgrade to make data fetching faster – The Block
- Latest Version of Open Source IPFS Improves Performance – DevOps
- IPFS Releases 0.5.0 Network Upgrade, Finding and Fetching Data Is Now 5 Times Faster – Bitcoin Exchange Guide
- Ya fue liberada la nueva versión del sistema de archivos descentralizado IPFS 0.5 – Desde Linux
- Protocolo IPFS é atualizado para tornar coleta de dados mais rápida – Money Times
Using IPFS to fight COVID-19
Here are some ways people in the dweb space are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic with their skills.
- Origin Protocol Launches Fundraiser to Help Find Vaccine for COVID-19
- Privacy-first COVID-19 app TRACY chooses Matic Network
- Announcing our COVID-19 Open Innovation Grant awardees
New bounties on the IPFS Bounty Board
Several new bounties of varying amounts have been added to the IPFS Bounty Board, so check those out and see if you can get paid to fix something!
- The desktop client for IPFS got a full upgrade.
- js-ipfs will be getting the same improvements to Bitswap (e.g., transfer speeds) very soon! Take a look at the roadmap here.
- Equilibrium’s work on Rust IPFS is steadily progressing, and we are pleased to announce that Phase 1 of the Protocol Labs devgrant is complete!
Top highlights this week
- IPFS and the Future of the Internet
- 3 Part Tutorial: Nim-libp2p Tutorial: A Peer-to-Peer Chat Example
- Creating a Point-of-Sale Application with the Algorand Blockchain
- Fleek recently shared a release bringing the IPFS community ENS Domains!
- How to Save Time on DevOps and Scale With Infura: Lessons from Leading Ethereum Dapps
- nOS Core 2.8.0 introduces decentralized validator profiles, powered by IPFS.
People are building the coolest stuff with IPFS
- dTube got a shoutout in the list of the Best YouTube Alternatives 2020: Decentralized Video Platforms
- Qri can store everything you need to identify, document, store, update and validate a dataset in one place. Learn how in their latest tutorial.
- Switcheo partnered with Unstoppable Domains to bring more convenience and flexibility to their users and now the Switcheo Exchange is now hosted on IPFS.
- Check out the Ocean Protocol’s public IPFS Node, setup to be a public gateway, and to provide some access to its HTTP API for everyone.
- Introducing AvionDB: A MongoDB-like Distributed Database built on top of OrbitDB & IPFS.
- Check out Philes, a decentralized notepad you can create and share content in a peer-to-peer fashion, built on IPFS.
- Fleek explains how constant links are achieved in IPFS in their latest: Immutable Links in IPFS - IPNS vs DNSLink vs ENS
- This library contains a Tor transport implementation for libp2p that uses an embedded Tor client, check out go-onion-transport.
- IPFS for Nextcloud, allowing you to use IPFS as an external storage for Nextcloud.
Join us Wednesday and Thursday at the IPFS Pinning Summit
On May 7-8, 2020, we are hosting the first-ever IPFS Pinning Summit, and we would love for you to attend! This virtual event is geared toward groups that provide pinning or other web/dweb infrastructure services. We plan to discuss the current state of distributed web infrastructure—including some of the challenges and operational lessons—and several exciting future opportunities (grants, integrations, potential new markets, etc). Register to attend here.
Quote of the week
Attend one of these exciting events from the comfort of your own home
- Ethereal Virtual Summit: 2020 May 7-8, Join the first-ever virtual conference and experience a stellar collaboration of technologists, artists, startups, entrepreneurs, and investors engaging directly with the latest developments in Ethereum, blockchain, and decentralization.
- Consensus Distributed: 2020 May 11-15, Tune in for dozens of sessions across multiple tracks and days to better understand what the future might look like, especially in a post-COVID-19 era. It’s the same great content you’ve come to expect from Consensus, but virtual.
- csv,conf,v5: 2020 May 13-14, A community conference for data makers everywhere. Featuring stories about data sharing and data analysis from science, journalism, government, and open source.
Job hunting? Work on IPFS!
- Senior Software Engineer Rust/Go: You would be working with our distributed team of engineers on new products, core protocols or client projects. Most of the work we do is or will eventually be open source. Equilibrium, Remote.
- Software Engineer, the Underlay Project: Strong full-stack web developer with an interest in semantic web and decentralized web technologies. The Knowledge Futures Group, Remote
- Technical Product Manager, 3Box: Own the delivery of new technical products and features across the 3Box suite of developer APIs, SDKs, and plugins, and manage the onboarding, engagement and partnership activities to ensure a thriving community and network. 3Box, NYC, Berlin, or Remote
- Project Operator, IPFS: Tackle some of IPFS’s highest priority initiatives using flexible problem solving abilities. Also responsible for identifying the project’s most important problems, structuring them, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to come to a solution. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Specifications Engineer, libp2p: Help write clear specifications for libp2p, and thus aid in new languages being able to implement the libp2p specs correctly. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Software Engineer, IPFS or libp2p: Experienced in distributed systems design and implementation? Join our full-time open-source team where we value experience independently designing and implementing significant components of complex systems, and the execution focus and discipline to carry projects to completion. Protocol Labs, Remote
Take care of yourselves and each other. ❤️
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox, each Tuesday.