IPFS Weekly 89
by Jenn Turner on 2020-05-12
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
Testground is here!
Introducing Testground v0.5, a tool dedicated to testing, simulating, benchmarking P2P and distributed systems at scale. This is a huge milestone for the distributed web, and for the wider p2p ecosystem. Discover what Testground is, how to get started, what’s coming next, and the backstory behind it on the IPFS blog.
How do you use IPFS GUI Tools?
In order to help prioritize future improvements to IPFS tooling and interfaces, we’d appreciate learning more about how the IPFS Desktop app and the in-browser IPFS GUI (also known as Web UI) fit into your overall workflow. This survey should take no more than 5 minutes, and will make a big difference—so thank you in advance for your time!
Introducing the Hub
Last week, Textile Hub was released! The Hub is a collection of libraries and services connecting and extending IPFS, libp2p, and Filecoin so you can build apps, secure data, and delight users! Learn all about the Hub on the Textile blog.
The case for hosting Wikipedia on IPFS
The exploration to host Wikipedia on IPFS has begun. This project contains code to extract content from Wikipedia and add to IPFS and documentation of the proposed architecture. This is just a proof of concept and not ready for any serious use yet. As a reminder, a wikipedia-ipfs mirror also currently exists.
Top highlights this week
- The Present and Future of IPFS: Thoughts on the IPFS Pinning Summit
- The Decentralized Web Could Help Preserve The Internet’s Data For 1,000 Years. Here’s Why We Need IPFS To Build It
- Problems to solve when building blockchain products
- The next stage of Web3: How The Graph, 3box, Unlock Protocol are laying the bricks for Web3
- See what Open Works Lab is doing with Glif, a set of interoperable tools on the Filecoin network.
People are building the coolest stuff with IPFS
- Infura is partnering with Horizon, a blockchain infrastructure company pioneering a new dimension of gaming that belongs to its players and creators.
- FYI, everything you can do with Temporal’s platform, you can now do over I2P.
- Cyber IPFS Telegram bot can add any content to IPFS from Telegram with 2 clicks. Source
- BHP, the world’s first computing power public chain which will build a set of infrastructure around the computing power ecology based on hashrate credit and provide basic services for various emerging hashrate ecosystems represented by cryptocurrency hashrate, genetic hashrate, IPFS hashrate, and AI hashrate.
- Introducing Basquiat, an IPFS-ready image resizing tool from Fission.
- PODCAST: Hashing It Out with Brad Kam talks Unstoppable Domains
- Get your AngularJS app sailing on IPFS in this short tutorial from Fleek.
- Meshstream demonstrates live video streaming over content addressable storage, IPFS, and more!
- VIDEO: Watch Qri’s latest ratification of RFCs (Publish, Delete & Drop, & more).
- Check out this IPFS tutorial hosted on jupyter
Quote of the week
Job hunting? Work on IPFS!
- Community Engineer, libp2p: Help introduce new open source projects to libp2p and clear hurdles for them to adopt the libp2p stack for the networking layer of their system. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Engineering Manager, IPFS: Engineering managers have the challenging and exciting task of supporting and empowering engineering teams to deliver complex internet-scale systems in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source. Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Community Lead: Provide tactical support for the IPFS community, creating a global community strategy, and executing this strategy on the ground! Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Software Engineer Rust/Go: You would be working with our distributed team of engineers on new products, core protocols or client projects. Most of the work we do is or will eventually be open source. Equilibrium, Remote.
- Software Engineer, the Underlay Project: Strong full-stack web developer with an interest in semantic web and decentralized web technologies. The Knowledge Futures Group, Remote
Take care of yourselves and each other. ❤️
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox, each Tuesday.