IPFS Weekly 22
by Jenn Turner on 2018-12-11
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
- IPFS popped up on the front page of Hacker News this week.
- Last week was the 5th anniversary of this commit to the IPFS repository. 🎉
- Protocol Labs, a team of folks behind IPFS, is hiring right now for several roles, check them out!
IPFS in the wild
- Federated Meets P2P, Medium, 07 Dec 2018
- Radium 2.0 Development & Expansion Roadmap, Radium Core, 07 Dec 2018
- Textile Update | November 2018, Textile, 07 Dec 2018
- Redecentralize.org Meetup, Bryan Kam, 06 Dec 2018
- 4 Decentralized Cloud Storage Platforms That Are Shaking Up The Industry, Invest in Blockchain, 05 Dec 2018
- Epicenter.tv featuring Nick Sullivan of Cloudflare, talking about The Internet’s (De)centralized Security Blanket, Epicenter, 04 Dec 2018
- The IPFS Cloud, Pinata, 04 Dec 2018
- Easy integrations with Textile Thread subscriptions, Textile, 03 Dec 2018
- How IPFS is Challenging the Web as We Know It, Rubiks Digital, 04 May 2018
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Announcing PhysX SDK 4.0, an Open-Source Physics Engine
- Ether-1 Node Network, gateway node beta testing is live!
- File synchronization on top of IPFS with git-like interface and fuse filesystem written in golang: brig
- This research paper cites IPFS in its references to a Wikipedia page.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- TONIGHT: The Internet Archive is hosting a Decentralized Web Meetup on 11 December 2018, in San Francisco, California.
- Sign up to be notified for IPFS Conf 2019, in Lisbon.
- AraCon, the first Aragon Conference, will take place in Berlin, Germany on January 29-30, 2019.
- Global Diversity CFP Day 2019 will be on Saturday March 2nd. In 2019 there will be numerous workshops hosted around the globe encouraging and advising newbie speakers to put together your very first talk proposal and share your own individual perspective on any subject of interest to people in tech.
- Data Terra Nemo is coming up in May 2019, and they’ve announced Juan Benet as their first speaker.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.