IPFS Weekly 32
by Jenn Turner on 2019-03-05
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
Join us at the first ever IPFS Camp
Last week we announced IPFS Camp, taking place June 27th-30th in beautiful Barcelona. This event is specifically for you, the IPFS community! Meet the core developers and contributors to the IPFS project, community leaders, and builders on of the Distributed Web, but only if you register to attend. Registration is open now!
- Last week, ipfs-webut v2.4 was released, including an improved and simplified file manager, some tweaks to usage analytics, and more. Read the full release notes for details.
- The long awaited release of 🎉go-ipfs 0.4.19 has arrived🎉! This release includes loads of new features, perf improvements, refactors and more. Read the announcement and the looong changelog for the full rundown.
- Did you know about ipfs-publish? Created by Adam Uhlir, it allows you to enable automatic publishing of static webpages from Git repositories into IPFS. Check it out!
IPFS in the wild
- Speeding Up IPFS Through Swarm Connections, Matt Ober, 4 Mar 2019
- Check out the DTube IPFS public community node contest!, 1 Mar 2019
- Understanding IPFS in Depth(3⁄6): What is InterPlanetary Naming System(IPNS)? Hackernoon, 1 Mar 2019
- Introducing Graphite V2, 1 Mar 2019
- PAPER: Asterism: Decentralized File Sharing Application for Mobile Devices, Olli-Pekka Heinisuo, Valentina Lendarduzzi, Davide Taibi, 27, Feb 2019
- AirSecure — Own Your One-Time Passwords, Textile, 27 Feb 2019
- P2P Inboxes, 27 Feb 2019
- CREARY.NET IS LIVE [LOVE ART, EARN CRYPTO], The Creative Crypto, 26 Feb 2019
- IPFS, the new resilient web, ElevenPaths, 4 Jan 2019
Updates and new releases
See the latest releases of IPFS tools and projects across the ecosystem.
- Textile released advanced-react-native-boilerplace last week.
Questions from the community 🤔
Here are some questions folks are discussing in the IPFS ecosystem.
- If there are too many pubsub topics in IPFS system, will it make the system too slow ,eventually unusable?
- I’m using the Python client to communicate with my Go IPFS daemon…
- I am developing an application in Go that uses IPFS to add files and to send messages through pubsub feature…
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- Check out Discussify, from our friends at Moxy Studios. Built on IPFS, Discussify provides a real-time, peer to peer, and permanent discussion platform for anyone to join and participate.
- Elea is live, a platform for property data, where property documents get hashed with IPFS.
- Lander is your landing page on the decentralized internet.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 5-7 Mar 2019: Ethereum Community Conference, or EthCC, is the second edition of a series of conferences and workshops that bring together and strengthen the international Ethereum community. EthCC 2019 will take place in Paris
- 8 Mar 2019: ‘Web3 stack, what’s next for developers?’ ConsenSys invites you to get together to challenge the current limits of a decentralized world with a diversity of BUIDLing approaches. Join them for tech breakdowns on the latest developments across the decentralized stack solutions.
- 10 Mar 2019: The first IPFS Hangzhou meetup is this Sunday, come discuss IPFS and MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online)! Hangzhou Shi, China
- 14 Mar 2019: Data Jam! Topic: NYC Transportation Data hosted by Qri. We’ll hack on (build, archive, synch, play with, analyze) interesting open datasets.
- 27-28 Mar 2019: C3 Crypto Conference is not only focused on blockchain companies and projects but also extends to topics on new technology. C3 Crypto Conference 2019 is also Berlin’s first large-scale crypto conference. 24 Apr 2019: Introducing Hackboat, an afternoon cruise along the beautiful Willamette river while enjoying awesome infosec presentations, Portland, Oregon.
- 17-18 May 2019: Data Terra Nemo is a technical conference about decentralized protocols and the software built on top of them.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, reply to this email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.