# Filecoin Foundation Successfully Demonstrates IPFS in Space 🔭
The Filecoin Foundation (FF) successfully completed a first-of-its-kind mission demonstrating the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) in space. The recent demonstration involved sending files from Earth to orbit and back using an implementation of the IPFS protocol designed for space communications.
# Brand New on IPFS ✨
- A blog post from Liquity that features IPFS and talks about the need for decentralized frontends that are trustless and verifiable. Read the post here! (opens new window)
- Several deprecated commands have been removed
- Support optional pin names
- jaeger trace exporter has been removed
- pinning/pinner: you can now give a custom name when pinning a CID. To reflect this, the Pinner has been adjusted. Note that calling Pin for the same CID with a different name will replace its current name by the newly given name.
- (bytes) Switch to a single directory for the flat store
- (net) Add Magicsock::network_change
- Usage metrics reporting
- Remove derp regions in favor of direct urls
- Additional public get utils
- Help: Feasibility for Self-Hosting Scientific Datasets? (opens new window)
- Ecosystem: Cloudflare IPFS gateway goes premium, longetivity of free version? (opens new window)
# Around the Ecosystem 🌎
- It's like scp without needing to know the IP address. Add some files to sendme, and it will give you a pastable ticket that you can give to anyone who needs your files. Sendme will connect your devices directly & transfer the data without any accounts or configuration. Learn more here! (opens new window)
- A post in the IPFS community forum about putting together an all-in-one docker image for self hosting an IPFS node / gateway. Read the forum thread here! (opens new window)
- A new blog post from Daniel Norman, Developer Advocate for IPFS, about the differences between IPFS and BitTorrent. Read the entire post here! (opens new window)
- Multi-writer self-hosted local-first IPFS-compatible blockstore with end-to-end encryption. Learn more here! (opens new window)
# Have something you want featured? 📥
If you have something exciting or important that you think the IPFS community should know about, then you can submit this form (opens new window) to have it be considered for inclusion in the IPFS newsletter.