IPFS Weekly 62
by Jenn Turner on 2019-10-10
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly. 👋
The InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identity. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open. Since that’s a pretty large scope, we track development across the ecosystem in this weekly dispatch.
Want this update in your inbox? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Here are some of the highlights since the last IPFS Weekly.
An update on IPFS Browser progress
We’re making headway! We’d like to share some collaborations the IPFS project has had in the works for a while, which brings us a few steps closer to making unmediated access to information just work… by solving that “last mile” problem and integrating IPFS directly into web browsers.
IPFS now available on Storj Network
Recently, the Storj team announced the availability reference architecture that backs an IPFS node to its Tardigrade decentralized cloud storage service.
IPFS Camp Sci-Fi videos 🧬
Hot on the heels of IPFS Camp videos covering lightning talks, deep dives, poster projects and core + elective courses come the interviews from our sci-fi fair.
IPFS in the wild
- Previewing RTrade’s Decentralized, Privacy-Focused (dVPN), RTrade Technologies, 9 Oct 2019
- IPFS + ENS Everywhere: Introducing EthDNS, The Ethereum Name Service, 8 Oct 2019
- VIDEO: RPi Cluster Interview with Héctor Sanjuán, 7 Oct 2019
- TemporalX vs Go-IPFS Official Node Benchmarks, Temporal, 7 Oct 2019
- TUTORIAL: Build Youtube using IPFS, SimpleAsWater, 5 Oct 2019
- Fission API in ipfs-deploy, Fission, 2 Oct 2019
- Using IPFS Distributed File Storage for Game Asset Metadata, Blockade Games, 15 Sep 2019
Open Positions working on IPFS
- React Native Developer, Berty, Paris, France
- Senior Backend Engineer, MXC Foundation gGmbH, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Golang Engineer, Textile, Remote
- Distributed Systems Technical Lead, IPFS, Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Documentation & Technical Content Strategist, Protocol Labs, Remote
Tools and projects we <3
Awesome IPFS is a community maintained and updated list of projects, tools, or pretty much any things related to IPFS that are totally awesome. To see more, or add yours to the list, visit Awesome IPFS on GitHub.
- GoFS is a modern file storage solution. Unlike traditional file storage solutions (Dropbox, Google Files, etc), GoFS serves files from multiple locations at once allowing for faster downloads and more redundancies to keep your files available.
Coming up in the Community
Did you know IPFS has a community forum at discuss.ipfs.io? Sign up to participate in discussions about coding, tutorials, see announcements and learn about upcoming community events.
- 16 October 2019: IPFS Colorado User Testing Day: Help make an impact on the UX of the peer-to-peer internet and get a day of free coworking and coffee in return! Boulder/Denver, Colorado USA.
- 16 October 2019: IPFS Colorado Basics Night: Collab between IPFS Colorado and Ethereum Boulder! Join us for an awesome IPFS overview plus an interactive tutorial on IPFS basics. Boulder/Denver, Colorado USA.
- 19-20 October 2019: Diffusion 2019 Join and connect to some of the world’s most exciting Web 3 protocols in blockchain, AI, IoT and Big Data from across The Convergence Stack, for a 2-day dev con made up of hacks, exclusive product launches, and live demos. Berlin, Germany.
- 28-30 October 2019: Open Source Summit + ELC Europe 2019 will feature Trevor Conn of Dell Technologies presenting “Securely Store IOT Edge Data with IPFS and Distributed Ledger.” Lyon, France.
- 6 November 2019: Paris P2P Monthly Peer to Beer is a monthly meetup organized by and for the community of P2P and cryptography enthusiasts. Paris, France.
Thanks for reading ☺️
That’s it for this week’s news on all things IPFS. If we missed something, send us an email and let us know! That way we can feature you in next week’s edition.