IPFS Weekly 82
by Jenn Turner on 2020-03-24
Welcome to the IPFS Weekly
Here’s what’s happening lately in the InterPlanetary File System galaxy and beyond! 🚀
Using IPFS to fight COVID-19
Here are some ways people in the dweb space are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic with their skills.
- BOUNTY: Create Collaborative Cluster for all CORD-19 datasets
- Tracking real-time COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2 outbreak stats over libp2p & IPFS
- NEWS: InterPlanetary File System Is Uncensorable During Coronavirus News Fog
- NEWS: A Chinese doctor posts a video about COVID-19 on IPFS after multiple takedowns on social media.
- Want to jump in and help? New projects are added daily to Help with COVID-19.
- Want to help, but not sure where to start? Help keep people healthy by keeping them fed, stateside and abroad.
Top highlights this week
- 2 NEW LANGUAGES join the IPFS ecosystem! Learn about Rust IPFS, and check out their call for contributors. Wolfram Lang also added IPFS support, which is a huge win for making manipulation over distributed datasets much easier.
- NEW RELEASE: Testground, although still experimental, is making headway in its latest release focused on observability and robustness.
- NEW TUTORIAL: Nim-libp2p Tutorial: A Peer-to-Peer Chat Example 1
- Did you want a list of all the ietf RFCs available on IPFS? Well, here you go!
- NEW PAPER: Decentralized Security Bounty Management on Blockchain and IPFS, by Alex Hoffman, Eric Becerril-Blas, and Yoohwan Kim
- Missed the IPFS Weekly call? Watch the video here and learn all about how connecting the Metaverse with IPFS!
Running an old version of go-ipfs prior to 0.4.20?
The upcoming go-ipfs 0.5 release includes write coalescing patches, which will trigger an old (long fixed) bug in secio which may cause nodes to panic! Upgrade ASAP or get in touch!
People are building the coolest stuff with IPFS
- Introducing, the latest from Pinata, IPFS Regions and Replications! Now Pinata allows you to replicate your content on multiple nodes and in multiple regions.
- Next Dapp is a web framework aimed at progressively connecting web 2.0 with 3.0.
- The Ceramic Protocol from 3Box, is a new protocol that serves as a universal routing layer for storing decentralized identifiers (DIDs) and their associated metadata, data schemas, policies for usage of web services, access control permissions, and other documents that collectively enable boundless interoperability between an ecosystem of connected wallets, applications, databases, and services.
- Learn how to deploy a GatsbyJS site onto IPFS with Terminal.
- Hactar provides analytics for your Filecoin miner nodes.
- What exactly can you build with 3Box? Check out this list of ideas, including some on how to help with the COVID-19 response.
- The folks at cyber.page have successfully embedded an IPFS node into their app and can deliver content directly from a p2p network! Now you can cyberlink any local file and it will immediately become available for search worldwide!
Learn how IPFS addresses content (CIDs) and what goes into a content address in IPFS from project lead, Molly Mackinlay.
Check out our recent mentions
- Working from home, with Hut34, 23 Mar 2020
- Decentralised web apps: How to Deploy your web app onto IPFS with Terminal, 22 Mar 2020
- IPFS:🦠Pandemic resilient infrastructure, 19 Mar 2020
- We need to serve the Internet offline, 17 Mar 2020
- Build Your First Dapp on Tezos, 17 Mar 2020
- The IPFS Holy Grail Part 1: A More Secure and Efficient Internet, 16 Mar 2020
- How to Deploy a Wordpress Website onto IPFS, 16 Mar 2020
- IndexChain: The Decentralized Application Platform, 14 Mar 2020
- Data Privacy in the Time of Data Breaches: How Blockchain Strengthens Data Privacy, 11 Mar 2020
- How to deploy a Censorship Resistant Website for FREE, 10 Mar 2020
- Trust projects thanks to PMPeople, 10 Mar 2020
- DApp’s pipeline (IPFS + ENS), 10 Mar 2020
- VIDEO: Building a P2P blog with Ethereum, IPFS, and TypeScript, 09 Mar 2020
- Thick Clients, Thin Servers aka Web3, 09 Mar 2020
- VIDEO: Using dtube to upload decentralized video, 27 Feb 2020
IPFS en español
Looking for tips or tutorials on IPFS in Spanish? Check out these community resources.
- IPFS, un nuevo protocolo P2P para una web permanente, escrito por Rubén Velasco
- Cloudflare se vuelve InterPlanetario - Presentamos la puerta de enlace IPFS de Cloudflare, escrito por Andy Parker
- Sistema de Archivos Interplanetario (IPFS): descentralizar Internet no parece una Misión Imposible, escrito por Abelardo Madrid
Quote of the week
Job hunting? Work on IPFS!
- Community Engineer, libp2p: Help introduce new open source projects to libp2p and clear hurdles for them to adopt the libp2p stack for the networking layer of their system. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Engineering Manager, IPFS: Engineering managers have the challenging and exciting task of supporting and empowering engineering teams to deliver complex internet-scale systems in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source. Protocol Labs, Remote
- IPFS Community Lead: Provide tactical support for the IPFS community, creating a global community strategy, and executing this strategy on the ground! Protocol Labs, Remote
- Project Operator, IPFS: Tackle some of IPFS’s highest priority initiatives using flexible problem solving abilities. Also responsible for identifying the project’s most important problems, structuring them, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to come to a solution. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Specifications Engineer, libp2p: Help write clear specifications for libp2p, and thus aid in new languages being able to implement the libp2p specs correctly. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Senior Software Engineer, IPFS or libp2p: Experienced in distributed systems design and implementation? Join our full-time open-source team where we value experience independently designing and implementing significant components of complex systems, and the execution focus and discipline to carry projects to completion. Protocol Labs, Remote
- Software Engineer, the Underlay Project: Strong full-stack web developer with an interest in semantic web and decentralized web technologies. The Knowledge Futures Group, Remote
- Technical Product Manager, 3Box: Own the delivery of new technical products and features across the 3Box suite of developer APIs, SDKs, and plugins, and manage the onboarding, engagement and partnership activities to ensure a thriving community and network. 3Box, NYC, Berlin, or Remote
Take care of yourselves and each other. ❤️
Get the IPFS Weekly in your inbox, each Tuesday.